Serena Williams Tops Forbes List Of Highest-earning Female Athletes
Ace Tennis champion, Serena Williams has topped the recently released Forbes list of highest-earning female athletes in the world 2018.
Forbes, on Tuesday, announced Serena Williams as the highest paid female athlete for a third consecutive year in 2018.
Williams who only returned to competition in March after giving birth last September, earned $62,000 in winnings over the past year but received $18.1 million from an endorsement portfolio unmatched among women in sports, Forbes said.
According to an annual list, Williams, who is gearing up to equal Margaret Court’s record of 24 grand slam titles when she competes at the Aug. 27-Sept. 9 U.S. Open in New York, earned twice as much off the court as any other female athlete.
In the list which was dominated by tennis players, Caroline Wozniacki was announced second on the list with combined earnings of ($13 million) while reigning U.S. Open champion Sloane Stephens ($11.2 million) was third.
See the top 10 highest-earning female athletes and their total earnings
1. Serena Williams (tennis) – $18.1m (£14m)
2. Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) – $13m (£10.1m)
3. Sloane Stephens (tennis) – $11.2m (£8.7m)
4. Garbine Muguruza (tennis) – $11m (£8.5m)
5. Maria Sharapova (tennis) – $10.5m (£8.1m)
6. Venus Williams (tennis) – $10.2m (£7.9m)
7. PV Sindhu (badminton) – $8.5m (£6.6m)
8. Simona Halep (tennis) – $7.7m (£6m)
9. Danica Patrick (race car driving) – $7.5m (£5.8m)
10. Angelique Kerber (tennis) – $7m (£5.4m)